National Environmental Accounting Database
The National Environmental Accounting Database (NEAD), compiles detailed information for over 150 countries for the full array of resources that underlie economies, including environmental flows (sunlight, rainfall), natural capital stocks (soil, water, forests, fish), mined materials (metals, fuels) and economically transformed goods and services (agricultural commodities, manufactured goods, services). Data for commodities and trade flows are for the years 2000, 2004 and 2008, and long-term average data are used for climate and hydrology flows.
The first version of NEAD was produced in 2006 and contains complete syntheses for 134 countries for the year 2000. With the support of the International Society for the Advancement of Emergy Research (ISAER), a second version of NEAD was produced in 2012, with additional years 2004 and 2008, and more countries. Also, UEVs were updated according to new research which have altered the results for the year 2000.
Paper Describing Development of the Database
- Sweeney, S., M.J. Cohen, D.M. King and M.T. Brown. 2007. Creation of a Global Emergy Database for Standardized National Emergy Synthesis. In (ed. M.T. Brown), Proceedings of the 4th Biennial Emergy Research Conference. Center for Environmental Policy, Gainesville, FL.
Papers with Analysis of NEAD Data
- Pulselli, F.M., L. Coscieme, L. Neri, A. Regoli, P.C. Sutton, A. Lemmi, A.S. Bastianoni. 2015. The world economy in a cube: A more rational structural representation of sustainability. Global Environmental Change(35): 41-51. doi:10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2015.08.002
- Bastianoni, S., L. Coscieme and F.M. Pulselli. 2014. The input-state-output model and related indicators to investigate the relationships among environment, society and economy. Ecologial Modelling, In press. doi:10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2014.10.015
- Coscieme, L., F. M. Pulselli, S. Bastianoni, C.D. Elvidge, S. Anderson, P.C. Sutton. 2014. A Thermodynamic Geography: Night-Time Satellite Imagery as a Proxy Measure of Emergy. Ambio(43): 969-979. doi:10.1007/s13280-013-0468-5
- Coscieme, L., F. M. Pulselli, N. Marchettini, P.C. Sutton, S. Anderson, S. Sweeney. 2014. Emergy and ecosystem services: A national biogeographical assessment. Ecosystem Services. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoser.2013.11.003
- Lei, K., S. Zhou and Wang Z. 2014. Per Capita Resource Consumption and Resource Carrying Capacity: A Comparison of the Sustainability of Macao and 17 Countries. In, Ecological Emergy Accounting for a Limited System: General Principles and a Case Study of Macao, 2014, pp 137-161. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-45170-6_7
- Giannetti, B.F., J.F.C. Demétrio, S.H. Bonilla, F. Agostinho, C.M.V.B. Almeida. 2013. Emergy diagnosis and reflections towards Brazilian sustainable development. Energy Policy(63): 1002-1012. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2013.08.085
- Lei, K. and S. Zhou. 2012. Per capita resource consumption and resource carrying capacity: A comparison of the sustainability of 17 mainstream countries. Energy Policy(42): 603-612. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2011.12.030
- Cohen, M.J., S. Sweeney, D. King, G. Shepherd and M.T. Brown. 2012. Environmental Accounting of National Economic Systems: An Analysis of West African Dryland Countries within a Global Context. United Nations Environment Programme, Nairobi. 139 pp.
- Cohen, M.J., D. King, S. Sweeney, G. Shepherd and M.T. Brown. 2012. Ecosystem Services and Rural Livelihoods in the Sahel: Environmental Accounting and Wealth Surveys. United Nations Environment Programme, Nairobi. 115 pp.
- M.T. Brown, M.J. Cohen S. Sweeney. 2009. Predicting national sustainability: The convergence of energetic, economic and environmental realities. Ecological Modeling 220(23): 3424-3438. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2009.08.023
- M.J. Cohen, S. Sweeney, D.M. King and M.T. Brown. 2007. Soil, Water, Fish and Forests: Natural Capital in the Wealth of Nations. In (ed. M.T. Brown), Proceedings of the 4th Biennial Emergy Research Conference. Center for Environmental Policy, Gainesville, FL.
- M.J. Cohen, S. Sweeney, D. King, G. Shepherd and M.T. Brown. 2009. Environmental Accounting of National Economic Systems of West African Dryland Countries within a Global Context. Synthesis Report to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Center for Environmental Policy, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
- King, D., M.J. Cohen, S. Sweeney, and M.T. Brown. 2007. Comparative Analysis of Indicators of Well-being Using Environmental Accounting. In (ed. M.T. Brown), Proceedings of the 4th Biennial Emergy Research Conference. Center for Environmental Policy, Gainesville, FL.