Emergy Synthesis Templates
The emergy evaluation procedure is called "Emergy Synthesis" instead of "analysis", since synthesis is the act of combining elements into coherent wholes. Rather than dissect and break apart systems and build understanding from the pieces upward, emergy synthesis strives for understanding by grasping the wholeness of systems. Emergy synthesis makes possible scientific-based decisions on environmental and economic alternatives.
Emergy evaluations of energy resources, transformation processes, and regional systems use a unit of measure called Emergy, and involve calculation of all energy and material flows in and out of the system studied. These calculations are stored in spreadsheet format, with extensive notes on sources and methods for calculation. Three "standard" synthesis tables are provided as templates that may be changed to reflect the particular inflows and outflows for the system being evaluated.
- Emergy Evaluation Template of a Nation
- unzipped Excel spreadsheet of USA
- Emergy Evaluation Template of Agriculture Production
- unzipped Excel spreadsheet of citrus
- Emergy Evaluation Template of Urban Land Use
- unzipped Excel spreadsheet of residential housing